Thursday, November 15, 2007

The Meaning of "Pro-Life"

Every year on January 22nd, the anniversary of the U.S. Supreme Court decision in Roe v. Wade, I take notice to the thousands of demonstrators around the country who take part in anti-abortion rallies and every year I find myself returning to the same simple question, “What does it mean to be pro-life?”

The few people I asked for their definition of being “pro-life” all replied with the same answer: “being anti-abortion”. Had I polled a much larger group I’m fairly confident I’d have received predominantly the same answer. That certainly explains why anti-abortionists call themselves “pro-lifers”, but it does little to clarify what it means to be “pro-life”.

Since next year is a presidential election year where millions of Americans will cast their ballot on the basis of that question alone, it behooves all of us to make an honest assessment of what it means to truly respect and support human life. It may surprise many to realize that those candidates who claim to be “pro-life” are actually less respectful and supportive of human life than those candidates who do not make such a claim.